Is it just us, or has anyone else noticed that the beauty aisle is starting to look like a kindergarten classroom? We’ve noticed a huge trend in kid-friendly, fun makeup, which will make you feel like you are back in your old Arts & Crafts classroom. To be honest, we kinda love it. Makeup is supposed to be fun, and these new products are the perfect mix of real-life and recess.
1) Stila After Glow Lip-Color, $18- This comes in four flattering shades that are both easy to wear and perfect for Spring. The best part? Your pout will glow in the dark when exposed to UV light. And if you’re not the club-going kind-of girl, the nourishing, buildable color formula still makes this a great buy.
2) Illamasqua UV Glow Nail Varnish, $23.81- I was lucky enough to meet Fleury Rose, Illamasqua’s US Nail Ambassador, at their summer launch event a few weeks ago, and I can’t tell you how cool these new glow varnishes are. Fleury even made hidden designs using the glow topcoat (which will make any polish glow, btw) so that you can turn a work appropriate nail look into a rave ready statement nail in an instant!
3) Ciate Chalkboard Nails, $25- After seeing chalkboard paint take over EVERYTHING on Pinterest, the trend has finally made its way to our nails! This kit comes with the chalkboard base color, four ‘chalk-like’ markers to doodle with, and a mattifying top coat to seal it all in. I mean, who doesn’t love sidewalk chalk?
4) NYX Cosmetics Super Fat Eye Marker, Carbon Black, $10- Does anyone remember those scented markers from Mr. Sketch? Well, I can’t say this eyeliner smells like black licorice, but it’s super easy to apply, and evokes the same nostalgia as getting a brand new pack of fresh markers.
5) VanityMark Dr. Kiss Satin Finish Lip Balm, $12- Remember back in the day when everyone had Mood-changing lipstick? Well Brett Freedman, celebrity eyebrow guru, added 4% of that ingredient to his amazing lip balm. The balm feels great, isn’t waxy or greasy, and has an amazing peppermint taste. It gives your lips an instant pop of color, which is true to your natural lip color, only better.
6) Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush, $7.99 – There is something especially fun about using this unique blush with a texture reminiscent of play-doh. It blends flawlessly and comes in a number of vibrant hues. Andrea has been known to call the shade “Candy Coral” Prozac for your cheeks, no matter what your skin tone is.
7) Sultra Color Hair Mascara, $24 – This product brings back memories of a blue, glittery hair mascara that came in a Lisa Frank gift set I once got for my birthday. Much less clumpy than that fourth-grade version, these wands apply bright color to strands that washes out easily with shampoo. Perfect for music festivals and summer concerts!
8) Lush Shower Jellies, $6.95- These wobbly body washes have the consistency of Jell-o, with the added benefits of natural ingredients. They can be crushed into a loofah or washcloth to create a rich lather or chilled to refresh on a hot day. The turquoise “Whoosh” variety contains citrus extracts and rosemary to energize you in the morning, while “Sweetie Pie” has iridescent glitter in a seaweed base that leaves your skin softened and also sparkly!
Even if you aren’t heading to Churchill Downs tomorrow for the greatest two minutes in sports, we’ve got your hat game covered. And if you’re like us and waited until the last minute to get your outfit together, these hats are available in stores nationwide so you can spend less time searching for the perfect accessories and more time sipping mint juleps…
1. Juicy Couture Wide Brim Straw Sun Hat, $78. Available at Bloomingdale’s.
2. Forever 21 Nautical Straw Sun Hat, $12.80. Available at Forever 21.
3. Aurora Sun Hat, $58. Available at Anthropologie.
4. Tasha ‘Fresh Take’ Fascinator Headband, $38. Available at Nordstrom.
5. Gap Ombre Floppy Hat, $30. Available at Gap.
6. ‘Medium’ Down Brim Derby Hat, $58. Available at Nordstrom.
And if you need more inspiration, check out our Derby Pinterest Board here:
Have you ever wondered how the stars pull off all that dark eye makeup and we mere mortals put on the black stuff and look like we went clubbing or forgot to wash our makeup off? As I reveal in my book, How to Look Expensive, and in my story in April Glamour, there’s a secret to making black liner look classy instead of trashy. It’s one of the secrets I revealed to Hoda and Kathy Lee on the Today Show this morning (hint Taylor Swift does it right). I’ll also explain why on Blake Lively dark roots look, well, cool and chic, while most of us feel the need to get thy hair instantly to the colorist or hide out in a ponytail or hat until we do. And speaking of ponytails, why do they always look so damned stylish on celebrities walking the red carpet, while yours (and often mine) look like you woke up late and didn’t have time to do your hair? Those bodylicious red carpet tans…we know they’re fake…but where are the streaks? And what’s with Beyoncé’s lack of new-mom dark circles? Does she have special anti-puffiness DNA or something???? Watch me as I put on my CIA (as in Cosmetic Intelligence Agency) hat this morning and solve these and other burning beauty mysteries.
and P.S. I got bombarded by the paparazzi on the way to and from the show,despite not being Kim Kardashian or Eva Longoria (who happened to be on the show as well!) so try them, they work!
Beauty Balms, or BB Creams, have taken the industry by storm, and it’s safe to say we couldn’t face life without them, but what about all of the other Balm’s on the shelf? We decided they needed some love, too. A few of our favorites below:
1) Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, $45- An oldie but goodie, this balm is an instant pick me up for tired or stressed out skin. It gives your skin an unreal glow.
2) Josie Maran Argan Balm, $42- This is a skin savior during the harsh winter months. It’s just like Josie Maran’s classic argan oil, but solidified, making it much easier to use and carry around in your bag.
3) REN Clean Bio Active Skincare No.1 Purity Cleansing Balm $48- Yes, this REALLY is a cleanser, even though it looks more like Vaseline. It removes even the most stubborn mascara and makeup residue, while conditioning your lashes and brows. Your skin will be left looking incredibly radiant.
4) Phytodefrisant Botanical Straightening Balm, $28- This little golden tube may as well be liquid gold. The plant-based formula makes it the ultimate-multitasker. It protects, hydrates and softens, all the while straightening and defrizzing.
5) Revolution Organics Freedom Glow Beauty Balm, $28- So once we heard you could use this as a lip balm, blush, eye shadow and highlighter, all in one tube, we were sold. The icing on top is that it’s totally natural, derived of coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba and shea butter. Get one in every color!
6) Boscia Super Cool De-Puffing Eye Balm, $26- We were first introduced to this amazing little product last summer. It instantly cools and refreshes the under-eye area and provides a great base for applying makeup.
7) Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips $14.50- When we’ve pulled this out on the subway, we’ve gotten more than our fair share of stares, but it’s been worth every single judge-y look. We found this little gem in our February Birchbox and have since learned that it was originally developed for nursing mothers facing the woes of breastfeeding, but became a cult classic when British makeup artists started using it on clients (yes, we mean their faces!).
The doldrums of February can make even the most glamorous girls feel drab, but we have a few new products that have become staples in our beauty arsenal to help us look our best even in the harshest weather.
Neutrogena ultra gentle daily cleanser, $8.99 – This cleanser gets rid of all the grease and grime our face collects throughout the day, while keeping the skin’s delicate moisture barrier in tact. It leaves skin feeling soft and moisturized, without the ‘tight’ feeling you can get with other cleansers.
Roc Retinol Correxion Max Wrinkle Resurfacing System, $26.99 – This is a two-step system that comes with a lightweight moisturizer with Retinol and a resurfacing serum to fade wrinkles. It’s proven to be up to 4 times more effective than three dermatologist peels, which can cost hundreds!
Clean & Clear Advantage Daily Soothing Acne Wash, $7.49 – One huge issue with treating pimples in the winter is the redness and irritation that comes with using harsh acne-clearing ingredients. We love this new face wash from Clean & Clear because it combines avocado and aloe with maximum strength acne medicine, so it soothes the skin while battling breakouts.
Aveeno Nourish+ Dandruff Control, $7.49 – No one wants to discuss dandruff, but the truth is that this time of year, lots of women suffer from it. In the past, we’ve had to give up luxurious shampoo and conditioner to banish flakes, but Aveeno has introduced an amazing new line that will leave you with shiny, gorgeous hair while treating dandruff at the same time.
Fashion Week is over and in honor of Valentine’s Day, here’s one of the sexiest makeup looks we saw backstage, created by Mark Carrasquillo for M.A.C Cosmetics. This look is definitely not for the faint of heart (or those without a great eye makeup remover), but it will certainly amp up your sex appeal!
Mark wanted the models to look very young, like teenagers who bought makeup for the first time and were experimenting with drugstore black eyeliner. He mentioned that the models were cast individually so he wanted to preserve what was unique about each of them; he didn’t want them to look like clones walking down the runway.
The model’s had bare skin with the exception of moisturizer because he didn’t want them to look ‘tricked-out’, and wanted to keep a sense of real-ness.
For the dramatic eyes, Mark used Oil Slick Black from the Trendeyes Palette across the eyelids, and smudged Eye Kohl in Smolder in the water line. He then took false lashes, cut them in half, and applied them straight across the lash line. He didn’t curl them, creating a hooded effect that gave the look an edge. He used Fluid Line in Blacktrack on the top of the lash line, and only applied mascara if necessary. The lips were bare, except for Lip Conditioner, which he blotted so it didn’t look glossy. The final look had a 60′s era protest feel, but without doing the expected cat-eye.
Pull hair back sleek and low, grab a section from the side of the ponytail about one inch thick, run a straightening iron over it, then wrap it around the base of the ponytail, using a bobby pin to secure it to the base of the ponytail. Add a decorative pin for night. Chic.
The cheek-bone chiseling ponytail
Tease the crown by using a fine-tooth comb to compress hair down at the root, then pull front sections straight back right over the teased sections and use a bungee elastic so as not to crush the volume. Or spritz hair with a dry texturizing spray first to add the texture without teasing, let dry, then pull hair gently back. You can also pull it back sleek in front, then spray just the tail for bedheadlike volume.
The boho curly ponytail
Curl hair, then twist and secure hair in a bungee elastic, letting whatever falls in the front fall where it lands, preferably in front of one of your eyes.
The casual and chic pony-bun
Pull elastic around hair once and on the second time around, pull hair only half through to create a messy looking bunlike effect. You can wrap the end of the tail around the bun and secure it with bobby pins for a slightly more “done” look.
Andrea had the pleasure of visiting the Dillard’s flagship store in Scottsdale for a signing and a few How to Look Expensive makeovers. Here are a few photos of the looks, and how to DIY them at home!
Look # 1: The Black Tie Eye
1) Apply charcoal shimmer shadow on the lids up to the crease, winging it out a bit.
2) Dot the sheer gold shadow right onto the middle of the lid, pressing it in to help it blend into the darker shadow and your skin.
3) Line the upper lash line with the black eyeliner of your choice, thickening the line as you move to the outer corner and wing it up at the end.
4) Apply the charcoal shadow over the black liner shaping it into a bit of a cat-eye.
5) Dip a liner brush into the charcoal liner, tap of excess, then line the lower lash line.
6) Take a pearly, shimmery white cream highlighter, dip your pinky finger in it and pat it into the inner corners of your eye.
7) Curl lashes and finish with a rich black mascara.
Look # 2: The Gold Liner Look
1) Use a liner brush to rim both the top and bottom lash line with a golden shimmer shadow.
2) Add the pearl-tones shimmer into the inner corners of the eye
3) Use a cream shimmer shadow with a brush or a shimmer stick and blend it onto the eyelid to avoid demarcation lines. It should look like diffused sparkle that surrounds your eyes, as if they were in the most flattering candlelight.
Look # 3: The Quintessential Smoky Eye in Bronze
1) Prep the lid with a primer, foundation or concealer so that the shadow has something to adhere to.
2) Line the top lash line with brown liquid liner. Line the bottom lash line with brown pencil liner.
3) Apply the darkest shadow (which should be slightly lighter than the liner) across the lash line onto the lid, with the color intensity strongest close to the lashes. Blend it in, and start to fade it out at the crease.
4) Apply the lighter shadow where the darker shadow begins to fade, and blend it into the crease.
5) Highlight from the arch above the crease up to the brow bone using a skin tone or lighter shadow.
Look # 4: Holiday Glam-Up for a Sleep-Deprived Mom
1) Use the mascara to make your eyes more awake, and applying a little extra on the outer corners of the eye.
2) Using a slanted eyeliner brush, use the mascara as eyeliner.
3) To create a glowy cheek effect, use a cream blush in a rosy or apricot tone (laced with shimmer) and then use a highlighter on the top of the cheekbone for a rich looking glow that catches the light.
4) Wear a tinted lip balm for a flawless, easy to wear mouth.
We love the new trend in decorative compacts. Some of them are so pretty; we almost don’t want to use them. Almost. Here are our top choices, you decide if you want to save or splurge!
1.Milani Illuminating Face Powder, $8.99
2.Stila Positively Pink Palette for Breast Cancer Awareness, $16
3.Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Illuminating Bronzing Veil, $13.95
4.Rimmel London Glam’Eyes HD Eyeshadow, $5.69
5.Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Sexy Glow Blush
6.Too Faced Sweethearts Perfect Flush Blush, $29
7.Sonia Kashuk Illuminating Bronzer, $12.99
8.Stila Valentine’s Day Cheek Palette, $14
9.Milani Powder Eyeshadow Palette, $8.99
10.POP Beauty Butterfly Bronze Blush, $26
11.Too Faced Pink Leopard Brightening Bronzer, $29
12.NARS Andy Warhol Self Portrait Eyeshadow, $55
13.Sue Devitt Microquatic Hydrating Marine Minerals Eye Palette, Blue Waters, $37.50
14.Anselm Reyle for Dior Limited Edition Eyeshadow Palette, $110
15.Guerlain By Emilo Pucci Terra Azzurra Bronzing Powder & Blush, $75
16.Chantecaille Save The Sharks Palette, $83
17. Guerlain Terra Soleia Tan-Enhancing Bronzer Face and Decollete, $69
18.Vincent Longo Sun Moon Stars Trio Eyeshadow, Stella Untold, $30
Thanks celeb stylist Karmela Lonzino for the rec. A must-have for long hair, it gets the knots out without killing your hair. And I have a lot of knots!
Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream, $42
Even if you don’t have wrinkles you may look like you do if your skin is dehydrated. This moisturizer is like gatorade for your skin. It instantly makes your face feel moist and glowy and that feeling lasts all day. I can literally feel it 6 hours later. And I love the invigorating lotus scent. I wish I could drink this stuff it’s so hydrating!
The Wet Brush, $14
I happen to have the most tangly hair. Besides two coats of conditioner (I apply it once, comb through my hair, rinse, then apply more and repeat), this brush for after the shower is saving my hair from breakage.
Maybelline The Rocket Volum’ Express Mascara, $7.77
Instant volume and I love that despite the glam effect, it rinses right off with just water.
Kate Somerville DermalQuench Liquid Lift Wrinkle Treatment, $95
I’ve loved this product since it came out about a year ago. Celeb facialist Kate has managed to put the oxygen treatment stars get as a red carpet facial before an award show into a bottle so you can duplicate the glow-getting effects at home.
After seeing Zooey Deschanel’s manicure at the Golden Globes, I have to admit I had a bit of nail-envy. But you don’t need a celebrity manicurist to pull off these 5 great new nail looks:
Tip 1: Match your nails to your jewelry
BaubleBar + Essie
Essie’s teamed up with BaubleBar for their winter trend collection. The amazingly addictive accessories site is offering members an exclusive set for $50 which includes a polish with a matching bracelet, a complimentary silver, copper or hematite bracelet, as well an adorable wrap bracelet. Serious arm candy that won’t break the bank!
Tip 2: Take your obsession with Lena Dunham (and the rest of the GIRLS cast) even further
Deborah Lippmann GIRLS set
Now you don’t have to wait for Sunday night to roll around to get your fix of Lena Dunham’s hit HBO show GIRLS. Lippmann has a created a line inspired by the hilarious take on life as a 20-something in New York complete with four different shades: Hapless Hunter Green for Hannah, Prim and Proper Pink for Marnie, Bohemian Burgundy for Jessa and Virtuous Vivid Violet for Shoshanna. We’ve seen a million TV and movie-inspired polish lines come and go, but this is one set we’ll be hanging on to for a while. If only Shoshanna’s bottle came with some nail decals of the infamous Emoji texts she sent to Ray…
Tip 3: Add a luxury finish to your lacquer
Mother of Pearl Manicure
Ciaté Manicure Sets
Matte finish manicure’s are all over the place right now, but how about velvet? Ciaté, a British polish brand with a cult following, recently introduced this unique product, which will leave your nails looking like they have a rich velvety texture. It’s available in three colors: Berry Poncho, Mink Cashmere and Blue Suede. Also new from Ciaté is the amazing Mother of Pearl Caviar Manicure Set, which Anne Hathaway wore at the Golden Globes.
Tip 4: Wear Colors Inspired By Nature
C & E Nail Lacquer Collection
Crabtree & Evelyn just launched a 21 color lacquer line that leaves out the harsh chemicals. The colors are inspired by nature, with names like Sand, Clementine and Raspberry (pictured above) we can’t wait to try them all. They also have Nail Polish Remover Wipes made from a soy-based formula, which unlike other soy-based removers we’ve tried, actually work!
Tip 5: Wear Grown-Up Glitter
Mariah Carey by OPI
This limited edition set comes in 8 shades, handpicked by the diva herself. Four of the colors use ‘Liquid Sand’ technology that dries to a textured matte finish and makes nails look as if they were coated in millions of individual glitter particles. The key here is to not use a top coat, it will make the individual ‘sand’ particles stand out even more.
Some of Andrea’s favorite drugstore beauty products were used by celebrity makeup and hair pros to glam up the stars at this year’s Golden Globes. Take a look at who wore what.
Simple Radiance Cleansing Wipes, $6- Gita Bass used these amazing new wipes to cleanse Tina Fey’s skin before working her makeup magic.
O.P.I. in Passion, $8.50- Claire Danes off-set her stunning red Versace dress with this soft pink hue.
O.P.I in Thrill of Brazil, $8.50- Celebrity Fashion Manicurist Elisa Wishan decked out Amy Poehler’s tips and toes with this beautiful red from O.P.I that worked with all of her wardrobe changes.
John Frieda Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight Semi-Permanent Styling Spray, $9.99- Hairstylist Marcus Francis prepped Kerry Washington with this styling spray before creating her classic look. Using it with a straightening iron activates it.
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm-Hold Hair Spray, $5.99- To set Claire Danes gorgeous waves, stylist Peter Butler spritz this spray all over her hair to complete her Red Carpet look.
L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup, $10.95- A long-time favorite of ours, this incredible drugstore foundation was used on both Jennifer Lawrence and Jennifer Lopez.
L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Miracle Blur Finishing Cream, $24.99- This newly launched product from L’Oreal was all over the red carpet. Stars like Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Chastain, Julianna Margulies, Julianne Moore and Eva Longoria all wore this skin perfecting cream, which erases the looks of lines, wrinkles and pores.
L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift Color Lift Blush, $10.95-Also, new from L’Oreal, this cream to powder blush contours and illuminates cheekbones.
Jennifer Lawrence -Berry Lift
Julianne Moore – Pink Lift
Lea Michelle –blend of Pink Lift and Nude Lift
Jennifer Lopez- Nude Lift
Eva Longoria- Coral Lift
L’Oreal Paris Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara in, $9.95 - Makeup artist Mary Phillips used this new special-effect mascara on the tops and bottoms of Jennifer Lopez’s lashes. Jessica Chastain wore the mascara on her lashes as well, but her makeup artist Kristofer Buckle added a bit to her lash line as liquid liner to create a modern winged eye look.
L’Oreal Paris Colour Caresse Shine Stain by Colour Riche, $9.99- Another celeb fave, here’s who wore what:
Jennifer Lawrence- Pink Resistance
Jessica Chastain- Berry Persistent
Jennifer Lopez- Eternally Nude
Eva Longoria- Pink Persistence
Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil, $7.09- Jenny Cho finished off Nicole Richie’s sleek and sophisticated hair with a few drops of this argan oil. Avoid the roots when using it at home so your hair doesn’t look greasy. Cho used the same product on Amanda Seyfried’s look, giving her loose, sexy waves incredible shine.
Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure, $7.99- Who loved Adele’s amazing mani? Would you believe us if we told you the base color was created by using two drugstore polishes that cost less than 8 bucks each? Kimmie Kyees, mobile manicurist to the stars, applied a coat of Sally Hansen So Much Fawn and followed it with two coats of Sally Hansen Copper Penny. Adele’s top-coat was made exclusively for the Golden Globes, but to get a similar effect at home try completing the look with Sally Hansen Gen Crush Nail Color in Big Money. Other stars who rocked Sally Hansen polish were Jennifer Lawrence (Sheer Ecstasy) and Naomi Watt’s (Arm Candy)
So I had such fun sharing my fab (mostly free!) beauty advice on The Today Show. Thought I’d fill in the deets and add a few more tips we didn’t have time for you can easily and inexpensively try to look gorge and glam in 2013!
Olive Oil as a highlighter. Celeb makeup artist Julie Morgan who makes up Giada Delaurentis uses EVOO on the tips of Giada’s cheekbones to give her that gorgeous catch-the-light glow. Of course you can use any highlighter you have on hand too, the secret is to just use a tiny bit applied with your finger tip right across the top of your cheekbones.
Stand-In for Fancy Blotting Papers. Makeup artist Talia Shobrook who does the glamming up backstage at Marchesa each season has her celeb clients carry squares of parchment paper (in the baking aisle) in their cute little evening bags. And of course if you don’t bake, you can steal my legendary tip and swipe a few napkins from Starbucks–their natural fiber blots away the greasies. I’m such a hoarder of Starbucks Napkins I’m just waiting for a Most Wanted sign to pop up in the window of my local Starbucks!
Baby Powder as Dry Shampoo. Sure you can spend $20 on a bottle of fancy dry-shampoo, but Creighton Bowman, who tends Megan Fox’s mane, taught me that cornstarch is the base of most formulations anyway, so you might as well use it in it’s purest, most natural, chemical-free form! The key here is to use just a little bit, applying it by massaging it into the roots of your hair wherever you want body or volume. I like to hide it on the underneath layers–it’ll blend in with natural skin oils and the white should disappear if you try this method–otherwise you’ll look like you have dandruff. Ewww.
Leftover Champagne to create natural, golden highlights. I’m getting lots of q’s about the Champagne highlighting trick I showed on-air, courtesy of celebrity colorist Doug Macintosh who is featured in my book. First things first, we used the cheap stuff, left over from New Year’s eve. It doesn’t matter if it’s gone flat btw. The trick to making it work as a highlighter is to use the heat of a blowdryer (or the sun) to activate the Champagne and bring out gorgeous, natural-looking highlights. By flattening the cuticle, the Champagne also makes your hair shinier. It’s so subtle and natural any color hair can do it and you won’t have roots when it grows out. If you want the cool ombre (lighter ends) effect you can pay a fortune for at the salon, use a diffuser on your Champagne-soaked hair from the bottom up. It works, as you can see!
What was that Gorgeous Gold? I was lucky enough to have my amazing friend Heidi model Blake Lively’s signature shimmer shadow look and she looked stunning. I’m being bombarded with questions about the name of the product, and here it is: NYX Glam Shadow Stick in 24 Karat, $4.50. But of course any gold you have lying around will work and right now you may even be able to pick up one post-holiday for a bargain.
And we’ve been asked for the recipes for the Jell-O compresses and Green Tea Popsicles, so here they are! Sorry for the epically long post, but we have tons of info to share!
Jell-O Compresses (use these to send your under-eye bags packing!)
2 1/2 cups boiling water
2pkg. (8-serving size each) JELL-O Gelatin, any flavor
1) Stir boiling water into dry gelatin mix in large bowl at least 3 min. until completely dissolved. Pour into 13×9-inch pan.
2) Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until firm.
3) Dip bottom of pan in warm water 15 sec. Cut into squares large enough to cover the surface of the eye area.
4) Wrap each square in plastic wrap and freeze over night.
Green Tea Popsicles (packed with antioxidants to detox your skin!)
2 cups boiling water
4 Green Tea Bags
4 Popsicle sticks, or 2 chop sticks cut in half
16 paper bathroom cups (3oz size)
1) Steep tea bags in boiling water for about 5 minutes
2) Double all of the cups, and pour the green tea into four of the doubled cups, filling about ¾ of the way.
3) Take the remaining four doubled cups and make a small incision in the bottom of the cup. Poke the stick (or chop stick) through the hole.
4) Place the cup with the stick over the cup filled with the tea, making sure the stick does not go all the way to the bottom of the cup (you don’t want the stick to hit the eye area as it begins to melt)
5) Carefully transfer the cups to the freezer, and freeze overnight, or until ready to use.
6) When ready to use, remove the cups from the popsicle stick and peel the cup off of the frozen tea. **If any of the cup gets stuck to the popsicle, a little hot water will take it off
How to Look Expensive owes so much to the amazingly talented Dallas Shaw. Not only was Dallas responsible for the majority of the illustrations in the book and on the website, her impeccable style and eye for all things pretty were a priceless resource throughout the entire creative process. Lucky Dallas got to play with boxes and boxes of Andrea’s must-have beauty products while illustrating this book (her first!).
You may have seen Dallas modeling for Anthropologie’s new petite line and you’ve probably seen her illustrations for designers like DKNY, Chanel, Ralph Lauren and Bobbi Brown, but we wanted to take a minute to formally introduce you to this lovely lady…
HTLE: What did you learn from working on the book? DS: I learned about so many beauty products that I haven’t tried yet, and I am a product junkie. I thought I had tried everything and when I met Andrea I realized there was so much more out there that I had to get my hands on.
HTLE: Did you discover any new favorite beauty products while working on How To Look Expensive? DS: I especially liked Andrea’s bronzer and highlighter suggestions. And now I swear by Kate Somerville’s tanning towelettes.
HTLE: What are your favorite secrets from the book? DS: I loved the high end low end makeup bag spread and tips. It was nice to learn about comparable drug store products without having to try each one in the store.
HTLE: What is your go-to polish color? DS: Tie: OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark vs. Essie’s Clambake.
HTLE: What are three things you always have in your fridge? DS: Cheese. Blueberries. Coffee creamer.
As if our obsession with Anthropologie could grow any stronger, they went ahead and introduced an exclusive lipstick line, Albeit, which will launch by the end of the month. Yikes, now we have another excuse to shop there…
At $18, the classic, iconic packaging looks and feels like it cost more like $50, and in line with Anthropologie’s vintage-chic vibe, the lipstick gives off an Old Hollywood aura. It’s available in six shades, which are perfectly hued for fall and have a creamy, luxe feel thanks to a blend of Argan oil and Vitamin E. Our fave is Vermilion, an universally flattering red, but Bisque, a rosy-nude, is a close second.
The truth is, everyone’s been asking us those two questions all summer. Here’s what we found out…
A BB Cream is a hybrid between a skincare product and makeup, BB stands for either “Blemish Balm” or “Beauty Balm”, and they claim to offer benefits to skin’s overall health by improving the texture, tone and brightness while providing sheer coverage. With product claims that read like the resumes of world-class dermatologists, we put a few versions to the test to see if they live up to the hype.
Best for: Light coverage under foundation
Garnier BB Cream Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector B.B Cream, $12.99– We love the fresh, clean smell and broad spectrum SPF protection it offers while still feeling light and hydrating. It also blurred out under eye bags (after a particularly sleepless week!) and offered a bit of brightness, who can’t use that? Key ingredients include Hyaluronic Acid, to retain skin’s moisture, and Vitamin C, to defend against free radicals and boost skin’s radiance.
Best for: Oily Skin
Embryolisse BB Cream, $39– Okay, we’re starting to get why this is such a craze. This cream instantly mattified oily spots while leaving skin with a gorgeous glow and natural coverage. The cream goes on smoothly and has powdery, flawless-looking finish to it. Our favorite part? It contains AHA to slough dead skin, Hyaluronic acid to plump and visibly firm skin, and Vitamin E (a natural antioxidant) to fight off free radicals.
Best for: A worth-it investment
Dior Hydra Life BB Crème SPF 30, $56– If you’re looking to make a “Blue Chip Beauty” investment this fall, look no further! Formulated with a potent concoction of three pure plant extracts and Mallow water, your skin will feel smooth and hydrated and have a dewy, youthful glow. The cream provides great coverage to correct unevenness and blur imperfections. This also has a powdery finish, which helps to control sebum (oil) so your skin looks fresh and clean all day long. Andrea’s been wearing it to her book signings!
Best for: A Preservative-free option
Boscia B.B. Cream SPF 27 PA++, $38– A great natural alternative, this cream harnesses the power of nature to offer serious skin benefits. Licorice root helps to fade dark spots and balances skin’s PH level, while a blend of botanicals prevents free radical damage and calms inflammation and redness. Natural collagen boosters reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Best for: Women on the go who want extra coverage
L’Oreal Paris Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream, $10.95– We were skeptical when we first tried this because the ‘Beautifying Beads’ felt gritty. However, the grittiness disappeared and the lightweight cream left us with the full coverage look of a foundation. We were shocked when it really self-adjusted to our skin tone perfectly. With antioxidants like Vitamin C & E, this is a great buy at the drugstore.
Best for: Active days when you want fuss-free skin-confidence
Maybelline New York Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector with SPH 30, $8.99– Anyone looking for a melt-proof summer replacement for heavy foundation should try this product. When worn during a hot, active day in the sun without any other sunscreen, it gave us great protection. We loved that although we only put on one product, we had the skin-confidence that usually comes with three or four steps. The feel was not as lightweight as some of the other options, but it didn’t feel heavy or thick on the skin.
Best for: Getting your money’s worth
Estee Lauder Day Wear Anti-Oxidant Beauty Benefit Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 35, $38–This cream packs a lot of technology into one tube. It blocks harmful UVA and UVBrays with a broad spectrum SPF, offers a potent combination of five skin-essential antioxidants clinically shown to offer protection against free radicals, gives skin serious moisture (from a blend of Hyaluronic Acid and ‘Barrier Boosting Lipids’), and provides sheer coverage while brightening and evening skin tone. Phew! Definitely worth the splurge!
We can’t tell which of the products in the Oribe Hair Care line is our favorite, but these five come pretty close! What we really love about the brand is the loyal following it has. Once you try these products you will be hooked! Head to Oribe Hair Care’s Facebook page and enter for a chance to win a copy of How to Look Expensive. Make sure to check out all of the amazing beauty tips from their fans!
Oribe Products above (from left to right):Dry Texturizing Spray, $39, Apres Beach Wave and Shine Spray, $35, Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray-Purse Size, $20, Moisture Control Conditioner, $39, Moisture Control Shampoo, $37
I’d hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the end of summer is fast approaching. Check out my top ten seaside essentials, and get yourself to the beach this weekend!
1. Alba Botanica Deep Pore Purifying Enzyme Wipes, $5.99- These natural wipes get rid of salt, sand and sunscreen residue after a long day at the beach.
2. Tkees Foundation Thong Sandals, $48- My friend Vanessa introduced me to this adorable sandals, she carries them in her shop on Nantucket. www.EricaWilson.com
3. Lifefactory Water Bottle, $22.99- Plastic bottles are such a waste, and even scarier are the chemicals that can leach into your water when they sit in the sun. I love these glass bottles from Lifefactory because they are free of harmful chemicals.
4. Ray-Ban Folding Aviators, $194- Nothing beats a classic aviator, and the best part is these fold in half for easy storage!
5. StriVectin-SH Age Protect SPF 30, $49- My go to sunscreen to protect my skin from the soleil.
6. Cyndi Bands, $10- I’m obsessed with this new trend in hair ties. These ones are from ShopLAStyle.com. A must-have for keeping snarls at bay!
7. Essie Polish in Bikini So Teeny, $8- This color is popping up every wear this summer, it’s perfect for a vacation mani!
8. Johnson’s Baby Powder, $3.99- A great trick to get stuck-on sand off of skin.
9. Nivea A Kiss of Protection, SPF 30, $2.39- Keeps your lips moisturized and safe from the sun.
10. SANDRO Natural Straw Mississippi Hat, $91- I never head to the beach with out a sun hat, and this one is on sale at Stylebop.com.
Full of beauty tips, tricks, and artists’ secrets, in How to Look Expensive veteran beauty editor Andrea Lustig helps real women determine exactly what they need to look and feel pretty powerful and make every beauty dollar they spend really count.”